Montag, 3. Juni 2013

NRW Travels


Yesterday, I got back from a trip to Belgium, but to update on the preceding few weekends:

With that wonderful semester-pass that allows me to take slow trains for free, I was able to head all the way to the other end of the state of NRW to Aachen for a few days.  Aachen, while smaller than I expected, was an absolutely beautiful town, with small, winding alleys and a lovely Innenstadt that, in some ways, reminded me of Tübingen.  The Dom (Cathedral) in Aachen is also one of the most ridiculously colorful, golden, and shiny churches I’ve ever seen, but somehow manages to just miss the gaudy mark and was actually really beautiful. 

Aachen also impressed me with some of the best sweets I’ve had in Germany.  The town is known for its “Printen,” gingerbread-like little cookies that can be covered in chocolate or nuts, as well as “Streußelbrötchen,” which is literally my new favorite pastry in the world.  It’s a very good thing I don’t live in Aachen, I suspect I’d try to eat one every day…

The following weekend, we celebrated for the last time with many of the English assistants in NRW, doing the usual trip to Duisburg for a night out.  It was a great time, but a whole lot of people are gone now, though thankfully Rebecca and Luke, two Detmolders, are sticking around for longer.

On that note, however, I’ve been mentally making lists of “things I miss from home” to get myself excited about coming back soon.  So far, the list includes driving, country music on the radio, Sunday breakfasts and dinners with the family, and dryers.  I still haven’t gotten into the idea of waiting days for sheets and towels to dry!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen