Freitag, 28. Juni 2013

Goodbyes


It all started last Thursday evening, when Susanne arranged for a few teachers to come to Detmold and have one last dinner with me.  It was really nice seeing everyone outside of school – we even managed to talk about non-school related things part of the time, which I think is pretty impressive for a bunch of teachers – but as soon as dinner was over the “I’m leaving soon!” panic – and the tears – set in.

Sunday evening we threw a party, and someone asked me what I’d be taking with me from this year…and there was more crying.

Since then, it’s been a stream of goodbyes, tears, promises to come back and visit soon, really thoughtful gifts (recipe book for German bread included!!!), cakes and cookies and German treats from my students, and the crazy part of my brain trying to decide if I should move back here and try to teach permanently – not currently the plan, but I suppose having options in life never hurts?

I’m in the middle of packing panic at the moment.  Tomorrow, Saturday, I head to Cologne, where Rebecca and I will have one last night out (or at least a bier or two).  Sunday morning will be the dreadfully long Köln-Amsterdam-New York-Cleveland trip…and then the reverse culture shock can set in. 

To those of you in America…I CANNOT wait to see you all.  It’s the only thing that’s going to get me on that plane Sunday!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen