Montag, 28. Januar 2013

Ways in which I am becoming more German


As I get over my homesickness and round two of culture shock, I’ve been really amused some things in my life that seem quite typically “German.” Here are some examples:

I’m get very stressed and nervous when I’m not at my morning bus stop at least 4 minutes before the bus is supposed to leave.  I used to casually saunter up about 30 seconds before the 6:39 mark; now, I arrive early and wait around in the freezing cold with the rest of my fellow travelers.  Note: this stress developed after I noticed that the bus has actually been leaving well before its scheduled time.  In Germany, it seems that you’re just expected to be places early enough, so if you’re “on time” but miss the bus it’s no ones fault but your own.

After complaining about how boring German beer is, I’ve started to really enjoy it again.  While I still maintain the lack of variety in styles is a little disappointing, I’m once again in awe of how deliciously they do a basic Pilsner.

I’ve joined a gym here, as the frigid temperatures and snow have made running outside impossible. Just having something as legit as a gym membership here makes me feel very “German” and integrated, but I was also amused when I found myself completely non-plussed the other week when the owner started getting on me about needing to life weights in addition to running – “it’s the best thing for your figure!”  The German honesty and directness, which used to confuse and upset me, is becoming a normal and expected part of my daily interactions.

Finally, I’ve subscribed to a German weekly news magazine, Der SPIEGEL.  It remindes me of TIME magazine from the States and is a great chance to practice German; the issues are packed with stories on a really wide variety of subjects.  On the train this weekend, I was reading a small snippet and translating a bunch of words in it; the guy sitting across from me on the train asked if I were a journalism student doing homework as he’s never seen anyone spend so much time working on a little text.  Tricking people into thinking I’m German = the best part of any week.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen