Dienstag, 12. April 2011

Tübingen + Sunshine + Mayfield Reunion part II

Chris came to visit Tübingen this weekend AND the weather was the most beautiful it’s been since I arrived in Germany which means 1. I got to be a tourist in my own town (awesome!) and 2. I got sunburnt (extremely not awesome).

Basically, we tried to make the weekend as typically German/Schwäbisch as possible! Which means we ate German pretzels and pastry, Wurst, Eis (ice cream), and Spätzle (egg noodle); we drank Apfelschörle (carbonated apple-juice), German bier, and delicious white wine; visited the picturesque little town of Bebenhausen, saw an amazing castle/fortress called Burg Hohenzollern (google pictures, you will be amazed), sat on the island in the Neckar, and went to a Biergarten, where there were peacocks wandering around. Crazyyy.

The more amusing points of the weekend included a non-English speaking tour guide and me crappily trying to translate things for Chris (who has a freakishly good passive understanding of German) and seeing a massive group of men dressed in Lederhosen at the castle (turns out they were just actors on some trip, not authentic Bavarians, but oh well) and me freaking out when the bus to the Biergarten came 6 minutes late. That had never happened to me here! But then Sunday evening the bus I wanted to take into the city was like 7 minutes late, throwing my entire confidence in the bus system here into doubt. Chris was completely amused by my state of confusion/frustration/shock/disorientation at the bus situation; German is evidently wayyyy more orderly than Italy and a late bus is no big deal.


The Neckarinsel.
Castle! aka Burg Hohenzollern.
Castle again.
Freakishly picturesque German countryside...
Freakishly picturesque little town of Bebenhausen.


Basically, now that spring has arrived, my life is nothing but freakishly picturesque sights of every nature confronting me everywhere.

On another note, I started class yesterday! More on that later, though.

2 Kommentare:

  1. hahah hillary, if you want to see some late buses, come to South America. I'm pretty sure theres not even a schedule...

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. my freakishly good passive understanding of german didnt help as i tried to follow your blog just now hahaha and i forgot that TWO buses were late. how did you survive that crisis????

    AntwortenLöschen